Research fellowship in the field of star formation and early evolution
The Centro de Investigação em Astronomia/Astrofísica da Universidade do Porto (CAUP) opens a call for one Research Fellowship (Bolsa de Investigação - Mestre) in the field of star formation and early evolution
, within the scope of the research unit Instituto de Astrofísica e Ciências do Espaço.
The position is offered in the context of the project UID/FIS/04434/2019 with financial support provided by the FCT/MCTES
through national funds (PIDDAC).
The Instituto de Astrofísica e Ciências do Espaço (IA) assembles more than two-thirds of all active researchers working in Space Sciences in Portugal, and is responsible for an even greater fraction of the national productivity in international ISI journals in this area. The research and development effort at the IA includes most of the topics at the forefront of research in Astrophysics and Space Sciences, complemented by work on instrumentation and systems with potential use in Astronomy and Astrophysics.
The position has a duration of 3 months
with a possibility of extension for 3 more months depending on the available funds. The fellowship should preferably start in October 2019.
The fellowship contract will comply with the Lei nº 40/2004 de 18 de Agosto (''Estatuto do Bolseiro de Investigação
'') and ''Regulamento de Bolsas e Investigação da Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia
'' in force (http://fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/docs/RegulamentoBolsasFCT.pdf).
According to the FCT table values
(http:www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores), the monthly allowance will be €989,70 (tax free) and will be paid monthly by bank transfer. The fellowships holders will have a personal accident insurance.
The work plan is to be carried out in IA, in Porto offices, under the supervision of Jorge Filipe Gameiro and João Lima.Research work plan:
The objectives of the work are:
- The analysis of recent and upcoming SPIRou high resolution spectra of Low Mass Young Stellar Objects (YSO). The study will focus on the accretion indicators in the NIR and their variability in short time scale
- MHD numerical simulations to test the environment of YSO, namely the accretion and outflow regions.Application:
The application, to be submitted through the web form below, should include the following information:
- Cover letter with a brief description of the candidate's experience and motivation;
- Curriculum Vitae (up to 6 pages, in 10pt size format and single line spacing at minimum), including a brief description of any previous research experience, as well as a scan of the MSc degree diploma (foreign diplomas must be certified by a Portuguese Academic Institution);
- Name and contact details (position, email, address) of two referees, available to provide information about the candidate (to be contacted if considered necessary to clarify the information provided in the remaining documents).Applications will be accepted from the 13th to 26th of september.Selection criteria and evaluation:
The applicant must have completed a MSc degree. Only applications from candidates having an adequate background in Astronomy, Physics, Mathematics, or other relevant domains, will be considered.
The curricular evaluation of the candidates will be done based on:
- [10%] Cover letter with a brief description of the candidate's experience and motivation;
- [30%] CV, including outcomes and contents of completed curricular units and the relevance of that training for the topics;
- [60%] Relevance and success/impact of previous research in Pre-Main-Sequence objects, in particular star-disk interaction: simulations and observations or in areas relevant to the project referred above, judge based on evidence of international recognition of the research, including possible clarifications provided by the indicated referees.
An ordered list of candidates will be defined by the selection committee based on the submitted documents and the criteria mentioned above. Awarding of the contract:
Following the evaluation process the contracts will be offered according to the ordering list proposed by the selection committee. Only candidates scoring above 70% will be considered for the position. All candidates below this cut-off will be automatically excluded from the list of approved candidates.
The selected candidates will be notified by e-mail.
For inquires please contact Dr. Vardan Adibekyan
.Selection Committee:Vardan AdibekyanJorge Filipe Gameiro
(chair)Pedro PalmeirimJoão LimaNotes:1.
The CAUP actively promotes a policy of non-discrimination and equal access, so that no candidate can be privileged, benefited, disadvantaged or deprived of any right or exempt from any duty due to, inter alia, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, economic situation, education, social origin or condition, genetic heritage, reduced working capacity, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic origin or race, territory of origin, language, religion, political or ideological beliefs and trade union membership.2.
Under the terms of D.L. No. 29/2001, of February 3, a disabled candidate has a preference in equal classification, which prevails over any other legal preference. Candidates must declare their respective degree of disability, the type of disability and the means of communication/expression to be used in the selection process, under the terms of the above-mentioned diploma.3.
In the event that the degree was awarded by a foreign higher education institution, that degree must comply with the provisions of Decree-Law no. 66/2018, of 16th October (approves the legal regime for the recognition of foreign higher academic degrees), and all formalities established therein must be complied with up to the date of hiring.
Applicants are advised to check the website of the Directorate-General for Higher Education (DGES) for further information: https://www.dges.gov.pt/en/pagina/degree-and-diploma-recognition.4.
The fellowship holders' functions are carried out under a scheme of exclusive dedication, in accordance with the terms established in the Research Fellowship Holder's Statute (Estatuto do Bolseiro de Investigação). For more information, see in particular article 5 - Performing Duties: https://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/docs/FellowshipHolderStatute2013.pdf.Publication Date:
29 August 2019The period for application submission has ended for this opportunity.